4.10, amd64, and raid

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Wed Dec 29 07:01:40 PST 2004

ctodd at chrismiller.com writes:

> Has anyone gotten 4.x installed on this type of system? (ASUS A8V,
> Athlon64 3500+, Promise PDC20378 (AKA Fastrak 378, TX2000), and Marvell
> 88E8001 Gbe) If so, how did you align all the planets with the sun to
> accomplish this? 5.3/amd64 was a breeze, but I need 4.10 on this system as
> well.

amd64 (even under i386 "platform") just isn't as well supported on 4.x
as on 5.x.  There probably aren't many people with *any* experience
doing what you're trying.

> Also, which file/pkg contains "base"? I could have gotten the system
> booted with that installed, all the man pages, docs, and most of the s*
> packages made it. At least with a booted system I could upgrade it.

I don't understand what you're saying, but I'll nonetheless take a
guess that the answer is "base/base.??".  That it might have been
named a little differently on 4.x; possibly "bin" instead of "base".