5.3 in diskless cluster: irregular reboots at 14:09 hr. ?!?!

Colin J. Raven colin at kenmore.kozy-kabin.nl
Wed Dec 29 01:22:30 PST 2004

On Dec 29, Rob launched this into the bitstream:

> I'm running 5.3-Stable on all PC's.
>
> I have a master/router with 7 diskless slaves. One of the
> slaves shows irregular reboots, without a trace, not even
> a shutdown message in the logs.
>
> Until now I have the following sudden reboots of one particular
> slave happen:
>        Nov. 16 14:09:41
>        Nov. 30 14:09:23
>        Dec. 28 14:09:34
>
> Each is exactly at the same time; this is rather peculiar, isn't it?
>
> Any idea what's going on here, or how to trace this problem?

What *else* is happening at (or immediately before) 14:09 on this
machine?? For example is something rather intense occurring immediately
beforehand? I'm thinking power supply failure when it get's loaded
beyond a certain point...so, pursuant to that is there maybe  a
big log grep happening beforehand, or some other event that stresses
components, thus consuming more power?

It has that funny; "I'll bet the PSU is on the way out" feeling to it,
but actually proving that can be tedious.

My $0.02 contribution only. Good luck anyway!!

-Colin