Man pages take forever on slow machine?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Tue Dec 28 22:22:36 PST 2004

FreeBSD 4.10 is OK on a 16MB Pentium 133Mhz system, espically if
you recompile the kernel to make it smaller.  But I wouldn't try
5.3.

Better on these older and smaller systems is FreeBSD 3.5.1 you
can get it here:

ftp://ftp.cse.buffalo.edu/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/old-releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/3
.5.1/

3.5.1 also still supports the old CMD 640 ide controller if you
have the misfortune to have one of those.

Of course, if your going to put a 3.5.1 system on the Internet, it
is a requirement you have a full source tree because your going
to have to patch the hell out of it, and recompile the kernel and
a bunch of daemons.

Ted