quick help ...

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Tue Dec 28 19:58:15 PST 2004

On Dec 28, 2004, at 5:34 PM, andrei wrote:

> Hi guys .... i was able to get the kde installed and i must say ... was
> beyound my expectations ... but the only thing that i was unable to
> get/understand is:
> 1. When i restart my computer i get a screen with 7 options ... i just
> press enter for the defaul and it enters FreeBSD ... do i have to do
> that every time i restart or there is a quicker way?
> 2. I don't get a logon screen i still have to log into root or andrei
> and use startx (since i couldn't find sessions in login manager (under
> system administration).
> 3. My user account which is andrei doesn't have a Gui (kde since is the
> only one installed and the only one that i'll use. ... i have modified
> the Xsession (added just kde) and Xsetup_0
> (added /usr/local/bin/kdmdesktop) and ttys (changed the xdm to kdm) ...
>  I appreciate all the help given and hopefully after getting the user
> work i'll be able to figure thinks out b myself/research more) ... Keep
> up the good work (and on a personal note does gates use a *nix platform
> in his house with all that shit going on there? ... i mean hell .. with
> the chip installed for personal prefference the toilet might flush and
> splash him) Sorry.  ... thank you

Here's my best effort at answering your questions:

1) There _is_ a way to do this, it just escapes me at the moment.
Really, I would not recommend it, as if you've got problems, you won't
be able to boot into safe mode very easily.  I would leave that
alone...

2) You need to setup kdm to handle your login.  This is done from
within the /etc/ttys file.  If you google for kdm and freebsd, or poke
around the freebsd.kde.org site, it should lead the way.

3) This problem will go away once you enable kdm, but if you choose to
stay the CLI route, you need to create a .xinitrc file with the
following line:

exec=startkde

HTH
Eric F Crist                  "I am so smart, S.M.R.T!"
Secure Computing Networks              -Homer J Simpson