FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE crashes on Dell PowerEdge 2850

Andras Kende andras at kende.com
Tue Dec 28 17:45:24 PST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org] On Behalf Of Christian R.
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 5:47 PM
To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Subject: FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE crashes on Dell PowerEdge 2850

I have installed FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE i386 on a new Dell PowerEdge 2850,
but it crashes under load. I can't figure why. Has anyone succeeded
running FreeBSD 5.3 on this hardware?

Following is the output from console made by two random crashes.

Crash #1:

cpuid = 0; apic id      = 00
fault virtual address   = 0x24
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     =	0x8:0xc039733e
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xee15dc44
frame pointer           =	0x10:0xee15dc6c
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 122 (pagedaemon)
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault
cpuid = 0
boot() called on cpu#0
Uptime: 4m58s
Cannot dump. No dump device definded.
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
Rebooting...
cpu_reset called on cpu#0
cpu_reset: Stopping other CPUs
spin lock sched lock held by 0xc8b97190 for > 5 seconds

Crash #2:

fault virtual address   = 0x24
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:xc3555da
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xf08adaa4
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xf08adacc
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 610 (sshd)
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault
cpuid = 1

Fatal double fault:
eip = 0xc032674a
esp = 0xec564ff8
ebp = 0xec565010
cpuid = 2; apic id = 06

Fatal double fault:
eip = 0xc032674a
esp = 0xee46eff4
ebp = 0xee46f00c
cpuid = 3; apic id = 07
spin lock sched lock held by 0xc8ad97d0 for > 5 seconds

Running for example "make buildworld" or rsync could make the server
crash, but it doesn't seems to crash, when it runs the distributed.net
client (100% CPU load), so I don't think it is a overheating problem.

The server has following configuration: 2x Intel Xeon 3.4 GHz (800 MHz
FSB), 6x 1 GB DDR2 ECC RAM and Perc 4e/Di (LSI Logic/amr driver).

I have compiled the kernel with SMP of course and PAE because of >4 GB
memory. I have removed all the unnecessary devices.

I have been running memtest (http://www.memtest.org/) without any
errors.

Would it maybe be better to run the AMD64 version of FreeBSD 5.3? I
think the i386 version should be more stable?