libintl.so.6

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Tue Dec 28 15:02:20 PST 2004

On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 02:44:26PM -0800, Bill Schoolcraft wrote:
> At Tue, 28 Dec 2004 it looks like Kris Kennaway composed:
>
> <humbly_snipped>
>
> > I'm guessing the application was originally installed on 4.x before
> > you updated, then you rebuilt gettext after you updated, so libintl
> > picked up the fact that stpcpy exists in libc.so.5, but your
> > application is still linked to libc.so.4.
> >
> > We don't provide this kind of mixed 4.x/5.x binary compatibility, so
> > you need to recompile or reinstall everything that links to the
> > libraries you updated (or just recompile everything, which might be
> > easier since otherwise this problem will recur with the next library
> > you rebuild).
> >
> > e.g. portupgrade -fa
> >
> > or
> >
> > portupgrade -faPP
> >

> I also had and error with this particular library when trying to
> use "ymessenger" after a flawless ports install that had no
> errors.

Yeah, ymessenger looks like it will be broken for precisely the same
reason.  Yahoo need to either release a version that is compiled for
5.3, release a statically-linked binary that doesn't have the
compatibility problem, or release a version that uses a private,
included copy of libintl.so that is compiled for 4.x.

Kris