a quick question

Lane lane at joeandlane.com
Tue Dec 28 06:50:08 PST 2004

On Monday 27 December 2004 23:52, andrei wrote:
> Thank you for your quick  replay but i am still not sure about a couple of
> things:
> I have tried what Mr. Lane suggested ... it took lets say about 8-9 hours
> (it connects to an ftp and starts downloading packages and installing them
> from all that writing on the screen and i have cable 500kbps down high
> speed cable or something) and yet when i restart i shoose option 1 (default
> boot freebsd) and log in as user or root and startx and i get 2 xterm
> pannels a login and a clock.i think i am missing something ... could you
> guys please help. oh and i saw an error more or less when i esit the so
> called startx it says radeon failed ..... i would assume i am still using
> xorg or something ... thaks again for your help and hone i really don't
> have to go back to windows cause i don't want to ...   :o)
>
> On Sunday 26 December 2004 18:43, andrei wrote:
> > Hi, my name is Andrei and I have recently purchased FreeBSD from BSDMall
> > and I ran into few problems. I am a windows user but i have some
> > experince in Linux BUT, I got rid of my windows machine and installed
> > FreeBDS. After the install for some reason i log into root and i use the
> > startx command since i get no GUI interface and i get 3 pannels (light
> > green bar and
>
> white
>
> > background and a clock at the top (it looks like a 16 bit OS or
>
> something).
>
> > Can you tell me what could be wrong ... any help will be apreciated. (i
> > am gladly getting rid of windows and i am probably not give up easily
> > that is why i would like some help) ... Thank you for the time taken to
> > read my email and helping me. My system is 3.06Ghz intel, all in wonder
> > ati 9700 pro, 200Gb WD, 1Gb ram, cd-rw 52x24x52, dvd-rw 4x2x32, sound
> > blaster
>
> audigy
>
> > 2.
>
> andrei!
>
> welcome!
>
> There is nothing wrong, I think.  It sounds as if you have properly
> installed
> X.  But X isn't the friendliest desktop around, as you've seen.
>
> You should be able to get a full-featured desktop by issuing the following
> commands:
>
> cd /usr/ports/x11/kde3
> make all install clean
> login andrei (or some NON-ROOT user)
> startx
>
> KDE is only one of several "window managers" that are available, but it is
> probably the most widely used.
>
> It is recommended that you use a NON-ROOT user unless you specifically need
> root access.
>
> There is a way to configure your system to log in directly to the GUI, but
>
> use the following in ~/.cshrc:
>
> if ($?DISPLAY) then
>         set history = 100
>         set savehist = 100
> else
>         startx
> endif

> [...]

andre,

Whoops!  I forgot one tiny detail:

login as any user (again, other than root)

then type

ee .xinitrc

enter the following line:

exec startkde

press <ESC> to exit and save, then type

Note:  Usually this should be the only line in .xinitrc

login <same user>

this will tell X to start the kde desktop

good luck!

lane