Minimal system installation

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Tue Dec 28 02:12:21 PST 2004

Your just not going to be able to do this one as it is,
you need to boot into FreeBSD in order to write a FreeBSD
boot selector or boot loader on the hard disk.

Borrow another laptop and temporairly move the hard drive from
the first laptop to the second, then load FreeBSD onto it
and move the disk back.

Have you tried looking for a floppy for this laptop on
Ebay?

In theory if you had a copy of Norton Ghost you could ghost
an image of the laptop hard disk running FreeBSD (obviously
you would need another identical working laptop) then
on your laptop you could dialup with a modem and download
a packet driver and try running it under win98 DOS using a
3com 3c89 pcmcia card (which is one of the few pcmcia cards
that will run a packet driver without card services) then
running the ghost client, than pulling the image over the
network.

Incidentally you probably can't get the pcmcia slot to work
because with a laptop that old, it's a 16 bit pcmcia card
slot, and all the pcmcia cards sold today are 32 bit cardbus
ones.  That 3c589 3com pcmcia card is your friend.  It's not
in production anymore but there's tons on Ebay.

Ted