Vanishing RAID?

Subhro subhro.kar at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 19:53:48 PST 2004

Hi folks,

This is a strange problem. I own a AMD Athlon 64 bit on a Asus K8V SE Deluxe
motherboard. This motherboard has an onboard VIA SATA RAID controller. Two
SATA hard drives (120G each) are connected in RAID-0. The already has an
installation of Windows XP (32 bit edition) and the RAID works properly. It
shows a net hard disk space of ~240G as expected.

I tried to install FreeBSD adm64 (5.3-R) from the CD. But I am really
surprised to see the installation utility detect the two hard disks
separately. The strangest part is, the first hard disk shows the windows
partitions, however the second hard disk shows empty.

To cross check I disconnected the second Hard disk from the controller and
windows refused to boot as expected. Could anyone guide me about what is
happening out there and how I can make the RAID controller work under
FreeBSD amd64?

Regards
S.

Indian Institute of Information Technology
Subhro Sankha Kar
Block AQ-13/1, Sector V
Salt Lake City
PIN 700091