add a harddrive to an existing system

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Mon Dec 27 15:54:10 PST 2004

Kevin Kinsey wrote:
> Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>
>> Eric F Crist <ecrist at secure-computing.net> writes:
>>

>>> Where, in the handbook, can I find where to add a new hard drive to an
>>> existing system?  I know vaguely that I need to do a newfs and such,
>>> as well as an fdisk, but I don't know what all the options mean and
>>> how to best optimize this drive.  Also, I'm thinking of obtaining an
>>> identical drive as my system drive and performing a dump of sorts on a
>>> schedule for backup purposes.  anyone have any insight?
>>>

>> Not actually in the Handbook, but what you want is: the "Disk
>> Formatting Tutorial".
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/formatting-media/index.html
>>

> There *is* a chapter in the handbook, however; it's Chapter 16 in
> my latest doc build (but I don't think it's quite _new_).  Section .3,
> entitled "adding disks", covers the scenario quite well.
>
> HTH,
>
> Kevin Kinsey

I read that also however, I have a question about it. In the example I
read (by Doug White) he used /usr/home as the point of reference. The
question I have is this, what becomes of the space left over on the 1st
drive now that /usr/home has been effectively moved?

Can you merge this in someplace else? Say /swap or /var?

--
Best regards,
Chris

Nothing is ever so bad it can't be made worse by
firing the coach.