5.3: want to install XFree86

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Sun Dec 26 21:36:43 PST 2004

On Sunday 26 December 2004 09:31 pm, Theodore D. Sternberg wrote:
> I've had it with Xorg and would like to go back to XFree86.
> Unfortunately, when I go to /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4 and type "make",
> it doesn't do anything; it just gives me this message...
>
>     ===>  XFree86-4.4.0_1,1 is part of XFree86-4.
>
> and exits.
>
> XFree86 was giving me everything I needed, back under FreeBSD 5.1.
> Xorg, in contrast, is one huge hassle.  "Xorg -config" produces an
> xorg.conf.new file that doesn't work (I have ATI Rage 128).  Then,
> reading some of the traffic on this mailing list I see talk about
> preloading AGP and ATI from /boot/loaders.conf, and I know I'd be
> getting in way too deep if I did that.
>
> To further confirm my ignorance, I'll ask this: what exactly is Xorg?
>  Is it just a different X server (and associated configuration
> tools)?  Or is it something more broad-based than that?

As I understand it, Xorg is the follow on to XFree86. You can read about
it at X.org. The new versions will be Xorg. FWIW, I still use
XF86Config. I may have had to tweak the video card but that was it. I
use xdb to switch between en/es and that works on 5.3 but xorg on 4.x
doesn't switch.

> If I succeed in building an XFree86 server, can I just make the
> appropriate symlink -- /usr/X11R6/bin/X --, install my old
> XFree86.conf file in /etc/X11, and run with that?  Or is it going to
> be more complicated?

You have to change /etc/make.conf to include
X_WINDOW_SYSTEM=xfree86-4

You have to remember that any packages you downloade for 5.x will want
xorg instead of XFree86.

Kent

> Ted Sternberg
> Fremont, California