web server permissions question

Jay O'Brien jayobrien at att.net
Sat Dec 25 19:46:32 PST 2004

Jay O'Brien wrote:

> I think this is a permissions issue. I just installed Apache13,
> and it works fine on my LAN using a fixed local IP. I opened
> port 80 in my Linksys router, and from the internet I can now
> get to my home page over the internet, using my fixed IP.
>
>>From my local LAN I can use links on my home page to display
> html files in directories under the directory where my home
> page lives. However, from over the internet I can only get to
> my home page. Except, I can go to IP/manual/ and apache shows
> me the apache manual pages by virtue of an alias in httpd.conf.
>
> So, I know it is possible to access other web pages via the
> internet connection; I just don't know how to allow access to
> my subdirectories.
>
> Jay O'Brien
> Rio Linda, California USA

More data on this issue....

I found how to get around this problem, and it isn't permissions
at all. On the other web server I use, I use relative and shortened
addressing on links, for example /xyz which, when selected by the
user, would then send the user the /xyz/home.html file, in the xyz
subdirectory under the directory where the home page lives.

Now, with this version, I find that I must add a trailing /, using
/xyz/ instead of /xyz, and with that change everything works as
expected. I can now access home.html files in subtending directories
with such shortened relative links from my LAN and from the internet.

This doesn't explain why the link without the trailing / works fine
on my local LAN but not when accessed over the internet.

I would prefer to have it work without the trailing / because I want
to copy many existing pages with such relative addresses from my
other server.

I'm not sure where to look in them, but... now to the Apache manuals!

Jay