portupgrade time, xorg ports

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Sat Dec 25 13:12:40 PST 2004

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 11:58:03 -0800, Jay O'Brien <jayobrien at att.net> wrote:

[snip]
>>> I ran portupgrade -a -N -vu -rR, and it tried several times
>>

>> You dont need the -N switch, it's only used for new port installations,
>> not
>> upgrades. Using it carelessly is a bit dangerous, you may find youself
>> installing ports you don't want.
>

> Thanks, I wasn't sure about that.  I saw an example that used -N
> and followed it.  I'm not clear on what -N really does, but for
> now I just won't use it!

While the manual (man) pages aren't always crystal clear, the one for
portupgrade is actually pretty good at explaining what all those letter
options are for.  Just type at the prompt:

$ man portupgrade

You'll have a much better idea of what the options do and which ones you
want to use for a given situation.

Jud