KDM problems on fresh install of 5.3

Michael L. Squires mikes at siralan.org
Fri Dec 24 15:28:47 PST 2004

A couple of problems that might cause this have been discussed recently in
the freebsd-kde mailing list.  One of them involved not having the correct
KDE startup files in /usr/local/share/config/kdm (where kdmrc lives,
apparently) and another had to do with commands in the shell startup
scripts failing (such as user .profile or system /etc/profile).  I've also
seen this happen when a previous attempt to start X failed and left trash
in the user's home directory and in the /tmp directory.

I think the command to create the kdm startup files is "genkdmconf";
however, there are no associated man pages with it but it should be
documented on the kde.org Web site.

Mike Squires