portupgrade time, xorg ports

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Fri Dec 24 14:12:46 PST 2004

On Fri, Dec 24, 2004 at 01:54:04PM -0800, Jay O'Brien wrote:

> I ran portupgrade -a -N -vu -rR, and it tried several times
> to fetch X11R6.8.1-src1.tar.gz, each time taking over an hour,
> and when the file failed, it failed showing a checksum mismatch.

> I tried it again today, and it was able to fetch the three
> remaining files. SLOW. I have a DSL connection, and usually
> see 1.5MB speeds or more. Two of the files came in at 6kBps,
> one at 26 kBps. This Portupgrade session, including downloading
> the files detailed below, took 3 hours and 38 minutes; 1.5 hours
> was spent just downloading the three files.
>
> >From the script file of the session:
> => X11R6.8.1-src(#).tar.gz doesn't seem to exist in
> /usr/ports/distfiles/xorg.
> => Attempting to fetch from ftp://ftp.x.org/pub/X11R6.8.1/tars/
>
> files fetched and time for download:
> file                    size    end speed    time
> X11R6.8.1-src1.tar.gz    29MB   6510 Bps     80 min
> X11R6.8.1-src6.tar.gz  3106kB   6298 Bps      8 min
> X11R6.8.1-src2.tar.gz  5672kB     26 kBps     4 min
>
> I have two questions:
>
> -Is this typical to see such slow download speeds

Sometimes; it's not unusual for a popular ftp site to be heavily
loaded.  There are various variables you can set to control fetching
from different sites; see the ports(7) manpage and the comments in
bsd.port.mk.

> and for the
>  portupgrade process to take so much time?

X is a large set of applications, so it's going to take a little while
to compile it all :-)

> -I didn't install xorg. Why are the 16 xorg ports present?

I don't understand what you're asking here.

Kris