KDM problems on fresh install of 5.3

Peter McMahan peter_mcmahan at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 24 14:06:09 PST 2004

Hi,
I just installed FreeBSD 5.3 on a Dell Latitude, and
installation went without a hitch. While trying to
configure KDM for graphical login, though, I ran into
some problems.
startx works fine as both root and as a regular user.
However, when I run KDM and enter my username and
password all that loads is another instance of KDM.
This is very frustrating. The same issue occurs when I
try XDM, so I think the problem is with BSD and not
KDE.
I've searched around for a solution to this, and
though I've seen that a lot of other people have had
the same problem, I have not found any help solving
it.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Peter