Kernel page faulting

David LeCount snailboy1 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 24 07:00:55 PST 2004

Alright, I'm a step forward in getting this 486
upgraded from 5.0 to 5.3 but things aren't getting any
easier. For those that don't remember, I've been
trying to build a kernel and world on my Pentium 4 and
install it on a 486 but make was calling a bad system
call while installing the new kernel. Well the old
make was calling the new one in /usr/obj which was
compiled for the new kernel. Since I didn't have it
installed yet, I compiled the new make for the old
kernel and managed to installkernel. I wish I could
say that's where the problems ended. When I rebooted
to the new kernel, it dumped a lot of information to
the screen and rebooted. It was too fast for me to
read, but I did catch the last line which said page
fault. I set dumpdev in loader.conf but it didn't dump
the core. I guess it hadn't reached the point where it
could yet. Now I think this is because I'm compiling
on a 686 for a 486 because the kernel on the 686 is
from the same source code and works fine. I put
CPUTYPE=i486 in my make command and even halted the
compilation to verify it was passing -march=i486 to
gcc. Yet it still page faults... I tried setting
NO_CPU_CFLAGS too but same thing. I've been struggling
with this computer for about a week now. If anyone can
help me get this kernel and world installed, I would
be extremely grateful.