FreeBSD's Visual Identity: Outdated?

Nikolas Britton freebsd at nbritton.org
Thu Dec 23 22:45:00 PST 2004

Michael C. Shultz wrote:

>I hate to see FreeBSD to something like my once favorite news site
>(www.antiwar.com) did.  Early on they had a website that wasn't at all
>artistic, but they always had links to great news stories and updated
>those several time a day.
>
>A while back they re-did the site into a politically correct artsie
>fashion  as you are suggestion FreeBSD do. Ever since that so called
>upgrade many of there links remain for days at a time and none are
>updated more than once a day, my guess is the site with all of its
>wonderful graphics is a real pain in the butt to update now.  I seldom
>visit the site because it is no longer usefull.
>
>So for me it seems it is not the artwork that brings me to a site,
>rather it is the quality of content and FreeBSD's content quality is
>good right now, I hope no one messes it up.

I agree with you there, content if the be-all end-all on the web. And
I'm not suggesting we turn the freebsd site into an arty website with
spiffy graphics and flash crap all over the place, in fact I want the
opposite. I advocate minimalism with a clean cohesive style that doesn't
get in the way of content yet conveys a "professional" image of who we
are to outsiders and prospective users.