portupgrade vs. portmanager

Jay O'Brien jayobrien at att.net
Thu Dec 23 22:02:24 PST 2004

I'm running 5.3 RELEASE and trying to learn. I did a ports cvsup.
Following the Dru Lavigne article on portupgrade at
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/08/28/FreeBSD_Basics.html?page=1
I installed portupgrade and then ran portsdb -Uu. It errored out,
telling me that I shouldn't use my "refuse" file that stopped the non-
english docs and ports from being loaded on my HD.

In trying to understand this issue, I found portmanager, and it looks
like it would perform the same function as portupgrade.

My questions: Is there a way around the "refuse" file prohibition,
perhaps with portmanager? Does portmanager replace portupgrade?

Jay O'Brien
Rio Linda, California, USA