traffic volume monitoring - what program

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Thu Dec 23 09:31:40 PST 2004

> I am looking at a new ISP that charges for a certain number
> gigabites of traffic. I have -no- idea what my traffic volume
> is.
>
> Can anyone recommend a good traffic volume checker in the
> ports?

I recommend setting up snmpd + rrdtool (portinstall net/net-snmp net/rrdtool).
It's much easier and cleaner to configure than mrtg (in my experience).

If you're interested I have a few scripts that do what you want in a basic
bandwidth graphing situation for a few hosts; generating relatively sane
graphs.

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller at infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org