Switching FreeBSD machines

Vulpes Velox v.velox at vvelox.net
Wed Dec 22 21:05:40 PST 2004

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 20:27:18 -0500
RL <rlurman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi. I have FBSD 5.3 on one machine. I'm thinking of buying a Dell
> 420SC Server and would want to use FreeBSD on that. I went through a
> hard time getting things to work on my current machine such as Java
> and maybe a few other things, so I really would rather not start
> from scratch. And I don't want to swap hard-drives because the Dell
> comes with a nice Serial ATA drive I want to use. My only option
> might be to clone the old FBSD box using g4Unix and putting it on
> the Dell. Would kind of problems and headaches would I have with
> that?
>
> Edit: Current machine is an Athlon and Dell server is a P4.

Well there are a few problems and a few possible problems. If you move
the drive another machine and it's place is changed, you will need to
edit /etc/fstab. This is easy to do though. The big problem comes in
if you compiled any tihng AMD specific into any thing. If you just
left it at the default settings or set it to 686 or the like, you
should be fine.

For copying just look at dd. If moving to a different size of drive,
just create the partitions, mount them, and then copy the stuff over.

What problem you running into with java?

No clue about g4unix since I've never heard of it before. I would just
do as I mentioned above.