FreeBSD as a DSL modem?

Lane lane at joeandlane.com
Wed Dec 22 18:18:01 PST 2004

Hello Beastie!

If I hadn't told you lately, I LOVE YOU!

Here's my question:  Is it possible to configure FreeBSD (5.3) to ACT as a DSL
modem?

I use an Efficient Networks SpeedStream 5360, using PPoE.  But I've had to
replace the modem more than once.  Currently everything is working nicely,
but I'm anxious about the next failure.

What I'd like to do is setup a PC to act as router, firewall, AND dsl
intermediary so that I can put my working DSL modem on the shelf for
emergencies.

Any pointers are appreciated.

lane
P.S.  I built a website recently for a good paying client.  They loved the
website, but requested that I remove the "beastie" daemon (Powered by
FreeBSD) because they thought the image might be offensive to their christian
clients.

I refused, of course.

I love christians, but I just can't cotton to fools!