VIM

Joshua Tinnin gamera at pacbell.net
Wed Dec 22 17:40:48 PST 2004

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 07:35:58PM -0500, Jerry McAllister wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > I have installed a VIM editor.
> > When I create a new file with this editor, I can't type anything.
> > What is wrong.
>
> I have not used VIM - installed it once, but never really used it.
> But, it is basically like vi to use, I think. I have a very basic vi HowTo
> that I wrote up for our sites.  It might help you get started.
>
> It is at:   http://scnc.k12.mi.us/howto/edit/vi.html

I personally love vim. You can also try emacs, but you might as well get
used to vi if you're going to run any *nix - vim is basically vi
extended, although it will operate exactly like vi for the purists if
you configure it to do that. It's not intuitive, but once you get used
to it it's very efficient. I use it for all sorts of editing, including
composing email in Mutt.  Joshua Lokken posted some good vim tutorials,
and there's another one here: http://www.linuxgazette.com/node/9039

Here's another vi tutorial:
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2001/10/25/FreeBSD_Basics.html

- jt