Question about FreeBSD 5.3

Robert Marella marella at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Dec 22 16:23:07 PST 2004

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:56:11 +0000
Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:

>     5.3-STABLE is a moving target from the RELENG_4 development branch.
>   It should run stably and it can be used usefully as a desktop system
> or whatever, but tracking -STABLE is not recommended for *absolutely has
> to be up 24x7* type applications, because new functionality and support
> for new hardware will be introduced, which can result in problems
> occasionally.  (In practice this very rarely happens: which is a great
> tribute to the degree of care taken by FreeBSD developers).

If one is *tracking* 5.3-STABLE on a non-critical system and is subscribed
to the stable mailing list, how does one know when to cvsup and build world?
I have not seen anything on the list to indicate I should update my source.

I have seen that 5.3-RELEASE is now P2 but nothing about STABLE. Should I
be doing it regularly (weekly, daily)? Or did I just miss something?

Thank you for this and all of your previous posts. I look forward to
seeing your name as a poster for I know it will be another learning
experience.

Robert