Serial ATA?

Joshua Tinnin gamera at pacbell.net
Wed Dec 22 15:47:49 PST 2004

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 05:13:40PM -0500, Peterhin wrote:
> I would like to move over to FreeBSD from Linux, only been there for a year.
>
> I am starting at groung zero. I have read the hardware list for 4.9 STABLE and
> 5.2.1 RELEASE. All I can find in 3.1 "Disk Controller with Promise ATA100/133
> OEM chip (pdc20265/69)  I am using a ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard, with a
> Promise PDC20378 Raid Controller and a Western Digital Serial ATA H.D. Will
> FreeBSD work.?
> Thanks.

Like I said, I'm not sure about SATA, but I have that same motherboard,
and things work pretty well. I haven't been able to get ACPI to work, so
I leave it disabled, but this isn't a big deal for me. You will need the
sk ethernet device set in the kernel config, as well as some other
things. You will have to go with 5.3-RELEASE to support your hardware.
If you decide to install it, let me know and I'll send my kernel config
file, device.hints and loader.conf.

- jt