Install CD howto and some amd64 issue

Kövesdán Gábor gabor.kovesdan at freemail.hu
Wed Dec 22 08:38:48 PST 2004

Hi,

I've found a Japanese mirror, where some 5.0-STABLE packages can be found,
and I'd like to build an own install disc, rather than using CVSup. Could
You help me, please, how can I do that?

I've got two reasons for building own install disc:

1, I'm going to administer an amd64 server with a RAID5 array and an MSI
mainboard with nforce 3 250GB chipset, and unfortunately the official
5.3-RELEASE for amd64 doesn't boot on this machine. I don't know whether the
chipset causes this issue or the 3ware 8xxx controller, but the loader stops
at the line starting with root at harlow.cse.buffalo.edu. Of course, I've
written to the freebsd-hardware mailing list, but I haven't got any answers.
I've also written to the 3ware, but the supporter was rather a lame guy, he
haven't even understood, what my problem is. I've written to MSI, but the
result is no answer. Finally, I decided to get a newer kernel somehow, maybe
some kind of current kernel would work. I'd like to give a try to
5.0-CURRENT or 6.0-CURRENT, but in this case I can't use the CVSup, because
the 5.3 kernel is useless on this machine, thus I haven't got anything to
upgrade from.

2, I'd like to install 5.0-STABLE on some machines, and I don't want to
upgrade so many times. An own standalone 5.0-CURRENT install disc would be
much more convenient for me. And in trouble, when I had to reinstall the
system, such a disc would be very useful.

Thanks for Your help.
I wish You a Merry Xmas,

Gabor Kovesdan (from Hungary)