how to get it online

Eilko Bos tafkam at brasapen.org
Wed Dec 22 08:37:25 PST 2004

Hi,

>From the keyboard of Bagus, written on Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 10:20:21AM -0600:
> >ifconfig
> fxp0: flags =8802 <bradcast, simplex, multicast> mtu 1500
>  options =8<VLAN_MTU>
>  ether 00:a0:c9:e6:11:b1
>  media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
>  status:active

You don't appear to have an IP-address assigned. Most probably the DHCP-
negotiation failed. You don't tell who your ISP is. DHCP-configurations may
differ from ISP to ISP. You will have to configure your /etc/dhclient.conf I
guess, e.g. with (amongst others) send host-name "your-hostname-known-by-ISP".
(man 5 dhclient.conf). After configuring it, retyry DHCP:

# dhclient fxp0

> >ping freebsd.org
> ping: cannot resolve freebsd.org: Host name lookup failure.

Right. If DHCP from your cable ISP failes, most probably your /etc/resolve.conf
will not be modified/added. And therefor lookups  will fail.

> As an aside, I'm stunned this isn't a FAQ or part of the freebsd manual:
> "How to get your computer online". Really I'd rather not be posting this
> question to a mailing list. It seems so basic, yet I can't find an answer
> out there. If anyone has any references, I'd appreciate it.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/config-network-setup.html

Of course, since DHCP configuration may differ from ISP to ISP, I guess it is
too much work to add all those to the handbook. Maybe search engines can point
you to a proper references. Or, if you name your ISP on this list, someone here
might help you.

Cheerz,
--
Eilko Bos.