make buildkernel KERNEL or KERNCONF?

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Wed Dec 22 02:18:12 PST 2004

On 2004-12-22 04:07, Zachary Huang <bees.msu at gmail.com> wrote:
> in the usr/src/UPDATING file with FreeBSD 4.2:
>
> we have:
>
>        To update from 4.0-RELEASE or later to the most current
>         4.x-STABLE
>         ----------
>         make buildworld
>         make buildkernel KERNEL=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
>         make installkernel KERNEL=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
>         reboot  (in single user) [1]
>         make installworld
>         mergemaster
>         reboot
>
> whereas in the 4.10 I am getting through cvsup: (notice it is
> kernCONF, not KerNEL anymore).
>
>         To update from 4.0-RELEASE or later to the most current
>         4.x-STABLE
>         ----------
>         make buildworld
>         make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
>         make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
>         reboot  (in single user) [1]
>         make installworld
>         mergemaster             [2]
>         reboot
>
> I guess I still follow the first one since that is what came with the
> 4.2. and I am trying to upgrade from 4.2 to 4.10.

Nope.  You follow what /usr/src/UPDATING says.

The 'buildkernel' process uses the Makefiles and the support make
includes from /usr/src as early as possible, so you should be able
to use:

	# cd /usr/src
	# make buildworld
	# make KERNCONF=MYKERNEL buildkernel

even if you're updating from versions of 4.X that didn't support
the KERNCONF make option.

- Giorgos