Hang on install of 5.3 on old Presario

Ramiro Aceves ea1abz at wanadoo.es
Wed Dec 22 01:04:26 PST 2004

Scott I. Remick wrote:

 > I'm trying to breathe some life into some old hardware by giving it a
task
 > of a server. I've burnt the full 5.3 ISO to CD. I can get it to read
the CD
 > fine and start to boot. I get as far as the "Welcome to FreeBSD" menu
(with
 > the ASCII daemon). No matter what option I choose, the bar then spins
for a
 > moment and then the computer hangs.

<snip>

I have the same problem in my old Pentium 100MHz, but booting from
floppies. I have tried the hint.acpi.0.disabled="1" and it does not
work. Also have tried many of the boot loader options in loader man
page, but no success. It is very boring and time consuming waiting for
the three floppies to load, and at the end only seeing the last one
reboots the computer.
I have read many mailing lists without success. My pentium is 16 MB RAM,
and the instalation process runs fine in FreeBSD 4.10. I would like to
test the installation with a little more memory, as I have read on the
Internet that "some people reported to need more than 20 MB to install
5.3, and that information is outdated on the manual". Saddly, it is not
possible to get that old 72 pin memory here on the stores.

I have an older 486 with 24 MB RAM and it runs freebsd 5.3 installation
process very well, but unfortunately, its memory does not fit on the
pentium.

If you discover anything,  please tell us.

Ramiro.