Running own servers

Matt Staroscik matt at wrongcrowd.com
Tue Dec 21 23:07:57 PST 2004

>What's the most popular option? Is it buying a business DSL or T1
>service or is it to colocate it?  All of them are pricey. :(

You can get high quality residential service with a static IP for a lot
less than what your cable company would charge for that one fixed IP. For
example, I get 1.5/768 service from Speakeasy for $90/mo, with 2 fixed IPs.
That isn't a ton of upstream, but it is enough to let me do my own web
server, mail server, and private music stream so I can listen to all my
tunes at work.

My web content draws over 40k pageviews a month... several gigs of data
sent upstream to approx 10k unique users. It's not corporate scale but it's
fine for a hobbyist.

Speakeasy's policy explicitly allows you to run your own servers with the
exception of IRC. They are a really, really good ISP. (Check dslreports.com
for more reviews and recommendations)

$90/mo (plus taxes) isn't chump change but I really enjoy running my own
server so it is worth it to me. It is probably possible to co-lo for less,
but this way I have complete control over everything. If I want to try
something new, I just do it.

Before Speakeasy, I used an ATT cable modem. It was a dynamic IP but they
only changed it on me once every 6 months, so I got by for quite a while.
See if you can figure out what your lease time is before you get a new ISP.
It might be good enough to get your feet wet.

Good luck and have fun!