Dell CERC SATA 2S question -- software RAID instead?

Roger. O. Svenning roger at audioweb.no
Tue Dec 21 08:14:36 PST 2004

Jonathan Reeder wrote:

>Since the SATA RAID controller in the Dell PE SC420 isn't supported yet, is
>there anything I can do with atacontrol to run my two drives as a software
>RAID instead of relying on the controller?
>
>I've never used SATA before, so any advice anyone can offer is greatly
>appreciated.

AFAIK you cant use software RAID on your system drives as the system has
to boot before software RAID can be loaded.
Thus you would need a dedicated system drive which the system can boot
from in order to load software raid on the other two disks.

This is probably not what you want.

Roger O. Svenning