FreeBSD doesn't even boot!

jsha johann at terrabionic.com
Mon Dec 20 13:39:56 PST 2004

Hey!

---

Abstract: I'm trying to install FreeBSD on a brand new HP Compaq.
But whether I install it with BootMgr or the standard MBR, the computer
won't enter the FreeBSD boot process. Instead, it reboots itself in an
infinite loop.

---

Thanks for the reply so far. FreeBSD still won't boot.

> You might want to consider installing a standard MBR during the installation
> (so not the FreeBSD bootloader). Then only FreeBSD will boot if you have
> selected the drive as the primary drive in the bios (assuming you have two
> disks). If you need your machine badly but can't boot Windows yet? Just
> select the other drive in the bios and you're ready to go :)

I've now tried both the standard MBR and the FreeBSD bootloader.
Both cause my computer to reboot in an infinite loop.

> If everything is running, install GRUB or LILO, whatever you prefer. Works
> better in some cases, and looks nicer as well :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jorn

Hope to see you again, Jorn :)

--