Armada 17xx, ACPI thermal management broken.

Nikolas Britton freebsd at nbritton.org
Tue Dec 21 04:25:13 PST 2004

Hello,
I have a Compaq Armada 1750 laptop and ACPI is some what broken. If I
enable ACPI the fan will never run causing the system to overheat and
shutdown, there are a few other problems with ACPI but this is the major
one. This is a standard 440BX/MX chipset (82443BX) so I don't understand
why this doesn't work yet with FreeBSD, Is this a problem with my
DSDT/AML/ASL whatever? The work around in the bug report I submitted (
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=i386/72566 ) does not work if
the system is below the hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._ACx threshold, if it is
below this threshold at system boot the fan will NEVER turn on even if
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active=1 is set in loader.conf.

Any help would be appreciated on ether fixing this problem or a way to
use ACPI but disable the thermal monitoring so the system can control
the fan?

Also... in the bug report there is a link to a Linux kernel patch that
fixes this problem.