bash - superuser

Ruben de Groot mail25 at bzerk.org
Tue Dec 21 02:57:22 PST 2004

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 08:22:12AM -0700, Tom Vilot typed:

> Admittedly, I'm still a bit of a noob, but I can't stand any shell but
> bash.

That's fine untill you're going to troubleshoot/administer a system with
no bash installed.

> >No problem for people to be productive with bash or whatever shell they
> >prefer. Just not for root. You should not even use the root account unless
> >absolutely necessary.
> >

> Ya mean like ...
>
>  ... editing /etc/rc.conf
>  ... installing a port or package
>  ... updating the ports tree and/or running portupgrade
>  ... configuring the firewall
>  ... backing up the file system
>  ... checking /var/log files for attempts at cracking
>  ... reading root's email
>  ... rsyncing to a remote server
>
> I would be curious how I could do any of the above as someone other than
> root.

While most of these tasks do indeed require root-privileges, none of them
requires more then a single command line. This command line would be exactly
the same wether you're using bash or [[t]c]sh so there's no reason for
changing root's default shell here.