'portsdb -Uu' vs 'make fetchindex' vs 'make index'

Gerard Seibert gerard-seibert at rcn.com
Tue Dec 21 02:34:07 PST 2004

I am not sure if I quite understand this entire ports updating scenario
correctly. I I run the command: 'cvsup ports-supfile', I then need to
run either 'portsdb -Uu' or 'make index'. I also have the option of
running 'make fetchindex' in place of either of those two proceeding
commands. Is that correct?

I would assume, that I should run the 'make fetchindex' command
immediately after running the 'cvsup' command.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a better way to accomplish this
feat?

Thanks!

Gerard Seibert
gerard-seibert at rcn.com