BSD equivalents of autoconf, automake, etc.

Matthias Buelow mkb at mukappabeta.de
Mon Dec 20 07:08:15 PST 2004

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Keep it Simple Stupid.  A Makefile that has options settible
> by editing with a text editor, and a nice readme file that tells
> what all the settible options are, is infinitely superior than
> all the configure crap.  That is all that the RPM and ports
> creators want from you.  And the end users don't even want to
> compile your stuff in the first place, let alone see it's
> install script.

I agree with that completely.  Although I might add, that it is possible
to write well-behaved configure-scripts.  It's just that it needs about
the same amount of cross-platform knowledge and testing than if you were
hardcoding the stuff in Makefiles.

--
   Matthias Buelow; mkb@{mukappabeta,informatik.uni-wuerzburg}.de