bash - superuser

Dick Davies rasputnik at hellooperator.net
Mon Dec 20 05:32:54 PST 2004

* Gerhard Meier <gemei2 at web.de> [1207 12:07]:
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 08:41:57AM -0200, Giuliano Cardozo Medalha wrote:
> > I have a machine with FreeBSD 5.3 - release -p2.
> >
> > I have installed bash from ports.
> >
> > How is possible to use bash in root account ?
>
> Do not change the shell of the root account. If you have /usr or
> /usr/local on a separate partition, and you cannot mount for some
> reason, you wont be able to fix that, without booting from
> another device.

No, but you'll still be able to use /bin/sh when going single user, so
what's the big deal?

I really don't get what the problem is with this 'sh is on the root' argument.
Using bash is a lot more productive for many people, so why not let them use it?
If you're really terrified of not knowing how to use sh, then stick a static bash
in /bin.

To the original poster: just be root and run 'chsh'.

--
'I should have been a plumber.'
		-- Albert Einstein