OT - Filter for Thunderbird

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at spymac.com
Sun Dec 19 05:16:18 PST 2004

On Saturday 18 December 2004 07:23 pm, Chris <racerx at makeworld.com>
wrote:
> Erich Dollansky wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Chris wrote:
> >> Sorry for posting here - but perhaps someone has done this. Is so,
> >> reply please.
> >>
> >> I wish to create a filter based on the Subject, in short, I want
> >> it to flag all duplicate emails. Has someone done this?
> >
> > I think the access to the other mails is missing.
> >
> > The main problem will be the time it could take if people have a
> > huge archive with many, many different folders if Firefox keeps
> > only one index per folder.
> >
> > Erich
>
> No - I think you totally missed the point. I have duplicate mails I
> would love to create a filter to remove. Opposed to going through
> 1700 plus mails and removing them by hand.
>
> If I failed to articulate that - then it's my fault.

I know this might not help your situation, but KMail has a command to
remove duplicates from folders. I've used it occassionally, but it's
definitely come in handy at those times. I am not sure about T-Bird. In
any case, it can be done, but maybe not as easily in other clients. I'm
sure it would be possible to write a small script which could do this
to the file itself, if you wanted to keep your existing mail software
(although, not sure what format T-Bird uses, but IIRC mbox is
available).

- jt