Too many entries in UPDATING ?

christophe ollier c.ollier.ml at free.fr
Sun Dec 19 02:44:40 PST 2004

Hello,

I just undertook the process of upgrading from 5.2.1-RELEASE to
RELENG_5_3. First step was to read the doc, next to synchronize sources
with cvsup.

My problem comes at the "read /usr/src/UPDATING" step. I begun to track
the entries pertaining to my system. I found so far two (20041010 on rc
scripts, and 20040925 about bind). The task seems overwhelming if I have
to track all of this : there are in this file many entries, but most of
them have a date largely _before_ my initial installation of 5.2.1.

Should I follow every entry, or only those after the date of my last
system upgrade (in my case, initial installation) ? And, if the later is
the case, how can I know the precise release date of 5.2.1-RELEASE ? Is
there a calendar somewhere on the web, or, preferably, a log file or
command on my system ? Or maybe an utility helping in this task ?

Thanks for your help !

--
Christophe Ollier