Opening ports

Curtis Vaughan curtis at npc-usa.com
Fri Dec 17 09:24:45 PST 2004

I realized that apparently by default most all ports are closed on my
5.3-Release box. The reason I say this is because besides port 22, 80
and 10000 no other port seems to be open (based on a port scan). I just
installed postfix and courier-imap and wanted to test ports 25 and 110,
but they do not respond even though postfix is running, I have enabled
the ports in master.cf. Also they are in /etc/services.

Looking over documents and checking my install, /etc/rc.firewall is not
enabled in /etc/defaults/rc.conf.

I assume I could go through rc.firewall and set it up for those ports I
need opened, and enable it in rc.conf, but whereas we have a
gatewall/firewall for our company, I don't see a lot of
reason for having all the ports closed down on this server. Is there an
easy way to enable them all?

Curtis