Migrating from 4.10 to 5.3?

Roger Merritt mcrogerm at stjohn.ac.th
Thu Dec 16 23:42:39 PST 2004

I don't know if this is a FAQ, but I haven't seen an explicit discussion.
I've seen some passing mentions that it's going to be difficult or
impossible to upgrade from 4-STABLE to 5-STABLE, when they finally decide
5.x is the new STABLE fork.

I've just received a new, faster box with a *much* bigger hard drive which
I plan to use as the gateway server in our computer lab. My first thought
was that I would just install minimal 4.10 and then copy the rest of the
old disk over (dump and restore) because that's what I did when I got a new
hard drive for that machine. But I think I've seen people comment that it
would be better to go ahead and install 5.3 now. I know how to use ssh and
tar to copy over the LAN, but I'm worried about the configuration of my
current binaries. Still, it *might* not be that much trouble to reinstall
all my binaries and that would probably get rid of any stuff I never use. I
haven't seen anything in the freebsd-stable mailing list to make me think
5.3 is dangerous, but it's still called CURRENT, which makes me nervous.

I guess I'm just looking for recommendations -- should I install 5.3 now or
stick with 4.10?

--
Roger