Gnome without the stuff?

Mark Rowlands mark.rowlands at mypost.se
Thu Dec 16 07:54:21 PST 2004

As the BSD package states :-

GNU Network Object Model Environment

This metaport installs the entire GNOME 2 desktop, including
the the most common user applications.  Other popular GNOME
applications can be installed from the other GNOME 2 metaports:

    * x11/gnome2-fifth-toe
    * x11/gnome2-power-tools
    * editors/gnome2-office
    * devel/gnome2-hacker-tools

WWW: http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome/

> Now, I understand that epiphany and so forth can be installed
> via their own ports.  But the "gnome2" package installs
> epiphany and evolution and gnomegames and assorted other
> gnomecrappitycrap (I'm sure it's wonderful stuff, no offense
> intended by this choice of words).  Gnome2 "depends"
> upon the little game with the colored marbles.  But I just
> want the Gnome desktop without that game, and so forth.

Nja.... Now I see...... In that case I would start hacking at
the Makefile in /usr/ports/x11/gnome2-lite - take out a few
Of those runtime dependencies.

> But if I'm right that Gnome is nothing more than
> gnomecrappitycrap et al, then maybe what I'm really looking
> for would be the Windows Manager that Gnome uses by default?
> That is, Metacity? Maybe?

Sawfish perhaps?

> I'm sorry if these are stupid questions - I'm mostly new to
> this, and am confused as to the roles of (Gnome/KDE/Whatever)
> versus (Metacity/WindowMaker/Whatever).

Nope... Not stupid.... KDE / Gnome provide fully featured
desktops out of the box so to speak, I prefer to use a window
manager appropriate to the task/capabilities of the machine I
am using. Usually windowmaker or xfce but I have KDE on my laptop
to show windows folks - I also have XP on my laptop to show unix
folks ;-)

> >Personally I want the moon on a stick.
> >

> I'm sorry, I can't help you with that.

Goddamn....is there no one pit there that can help me that.