Why reccomend Bash shell?

Bill Campbell freebsd at celestial.com
Wed Dec 15 20:05:23 PST 2004

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004, Nikolas Britton wrote:
>Bill Campbell wrote:
>
>>On Wed, Dec 15, 2004, Adam wrote:
>>

>>>In Greg Lehey's book "The Complete FreeBSD" he reccomends changing the
>>>default shell for users to bash shell. -p. 94
>>>
>>>What are the Pro's/Con's of using bash as opposed to the other shells?
>>>

>>That's largely a religious issue.  I used csh for my first 6 years or
>>so of *nix use, switching to ksh around 1988.  Personally I like ksh
>>better than bash or csh/tcsh for interactive use, largely because I
>>prefer using its ``r'' options to repeat previous commands to the csh
>>and bash ``!''.
>>

>BTW last time I checked (about three weeks ago the ksh93 port was
>broken, the old src tarballs have been removed from the servers listed
>in the Makefile because they released newer version. Christian
>Weisgerber (naddy at mips.inka.de) is listed as the maintainer.

Most of the extra stuff I'm running on FreeBSD is built under the
OpenPKG.org packaging system rather than from ports so I haven't seen those
problems.  I'm running pkdsh-5.2.14 rather than the official ksh, largely
out of habit.  The current OpenPKG version of ksh is ksh-20040229.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

When only cops have guns, it's called a ``police state''.
        -- Claire Wolfe, "101 Things To Do Until The Revolution"