5.2.1 install error

Gable Barber gablebarber at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 13:01:00 PST 2004

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 11:17:02 -0600, Gable Barber <gablebarber at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I am trying to install FreebSD 5.2.1 from CD, on the following box, I
> am getting an error when it is installing /usr/ports.
>
> The gear:
>
> Duron 1000
> 512meg RAM
> Mylex Acceleraid 150 (DAC960)
> 4x9G IBM SCSI drives (7200rpm)
>
> The error :
>
> anic: free: address 0xc978f00 has not been allocated
>
> cpuid:0
>
> syncing discs
>
> from there it counts about 4 lines of 4 digit codes, then reboots..
>
> I have searched the questions archive, and google.com/bsd without much
> avail. There were 2-3 similar posts with no follow ups.
>
> I thouhgt it might be a RAM problem, so I have tested with 2 different
> modules (256each). The error continues to happen.
>
> Possibly CPU?
>
> I am at a loss, thank you in advance for any ideas...
>
> Gable

The problem was the SCSI card. For some reason, it didnt like writing
a bunch of small directories and files (installing /usr/ports). It
would pass the error and reboot.

I tried 3 different cpu's on 2 different motherboards. 3 different RAM modules.

If anyone has had any experience with these controllers, and has any
idea where to go, I would certainly appreciate it. I hate to write off
the card as toast..

Thank you,
Gable