ld-elf.so.1: Shared object"libintl.so.6" not found

Andrew P. infofarmer at mail.ru
Tue Dec 14 10:08:53 PST 2004

>> I got this at startup:
>>
>> Dec 11 03:32:42 satbsd /kernel:
>>   Starting ppp as "root"
>> Dec 11 03:32:42 satbsd /kernel:
>>   /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1:
>> Dec 11 03:32:42 satbsd /kernel:
>>   Shared object "libintl.so.6" not found
>>
>> libintl is in /usr/local/lib, but ppp is
>> started before this:
>>
>> Dec 11 03:32:43 satbsd /kernel:
>>   ELF ldconfig path: /usr/lib /usr/lib/
>>   compat /usr/X11R6/lib /usr/local/lib
>>
>> So I copied libintl to /usr/lib and
>> I got error no more. But I still have a
>> question: how come ld-elf.so.1 was
>> looking in the wrong place? I've got
>> a newly cvsupped and fully rebuilt system.
>> (RELENG_4_10).
>
> The real question you should be asking is "why does ppp (a system
> binary) depend on libintl (not a system library)?"  You've probably
> replaced your ppp(8) with something else, with poor consequences.

Can you tell me how to figure that out? I started to get this
error a few weeks ago, after I did portupgrade -a. I always look
at UPDATING, but I didn't find anything related to my problem.
I got this on two different FreeBSD-4.10 systems, one of which
does not have many ports:

bash-3.0.13
cups-base-1.1.20.0
expat-1.95.8
gettext-0.13.1_1
glib-2.4.8
gmake-3.80_2
jpeg-6b_2
libiconv-1.9.2_1
libslang-1.4.9
libtool-1.3.5_2
libtool-1.5.10
lynx-2.8.5
mc-4.6.0_13
openldap-client-2.2.17
p5-File-Spec-0.86
p5-File-Temp-0.14_1
p5-PodParser-1.28_1
p5-Test-Harness-2.42
p5-Test-Simple-0.47_1
perl-5.8.5
pkgconfig-0.15.0_1
png-1.2.5_3
popt-1.7
rc_subr-1.31
samba-3.0.7,1
tiff-3.6.1_1

I'm not an advanced user, so I haven't hacked into anything
or tuned anything to my taste. Can you tell me where should
I look or what should I read?

Thanks,
Andrew P.