shared memory settings in 5.3

John jumperooter at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 13 07:39:16 PST 2004

  Thank you for the quick reply.  That was very
helpful.  I thought I'd post what I found out for the
next poor knob setting up sybase;
  The default setting of SHMMAXPGS appears to be 8192.
 Default page size is 4K, which gives you the 33554432
kern.ipc.shmmax value from sysctl.  This means (if my
math is right) you have 32mg of shared memory to allow
sybase to grab.  This is fine for the default sybase
install (7500 2k pgs).  I set 'options
SHMMAXPGS=40960' in my recompiled kernel, which gives
me a kern.ipc.shmmax 160 megs.  This allowd me to set
sybase's 'total memory' at 80,000 (2k pages) giving me
just under 160 megs of memory available for data
caches, which sybase is able to use at great advantage
when the circumstances are right...

> > I have seen references to setting SHMMAXPGS, but
am > > not quite