Your FreeBSD daemon logo

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Mon Dec 13 03:10:59 PST 2004

Graphic images of the FreeBSD mascot, referred to as "the BSD daemon"
in most literature on the subject, are copyright by the artists
that draw them.  You must get permission from those artists.  For
example, Marshall Kirk McKusick drew these here and if you use any
of them you must get his permission:

http://www.mckusick.com/beastie/mainpage/images.html

The BSD daemon in the logo on the website, here:

http://www.freebsd.org/gifs/freebsd_1.gif

Is a mirror of this image:

http://www.mckusick.com/beastie/gif/bsd4_3.gif

and permission should be got from Marshall for use of it.  This image
is probably the most popular of all the images of the BSD daemon.  In
general Marshall gives permission for use of this image to just
about anyone that asks to use it in FreeBSD-related items.

You also have the option of drawing your own BSD daemon, or
contracting someone to draw it.  For example my book cover here:

http://www.freebsd-corp-net-guide.com/bookcover.png

uses a BSD image that was drawn by an artist within Addison-Wesley,
thus is copyright by Addison-Wesley, not by Marshall.  For
another example, Darby Daemon, here:

http://www.daemonnews.org/199912/darby.html

is copyrighted by Susannah Coleman.  As you can probably see there's
wide variation in the images people have drawn.

Ted