sound works with kldload, but not /boot/loader.conf?

Adam Smith adam at internode.com.au
Sun Dec 12 19:18:19 PST 2004

On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 08:28:32PM -0500, Robert William Vesterman said:
> Hi,
>
> I just tried playing a WAV file using xmms (this is the first time I've
> tried anything with sound on my installation).  It issued a very generic
> error message, telling me things like "make sure your device is
> installed".  I did some research (mostly in the FreeBSD handbook), and
> eventually got my sound working by doing a "kldload snd_driver".
>
> I then changed /boot/loader.conf to contain the line:
>
> snd_driver_load="YES"
>
> So that I wouldn't have to "kldload snd_driver" every time.  After
> rebooting, xmms acted like it was playing the song - no error message,
> equalizer lights happily jumping around, et cetera - but no sound came out.

You may need to adjust your mixer settings.  Run 'mixer' and have a look at
the output.  You can modify any of the settings there by running, for
example:

mixer pcm 90
mixer vol 90

(for me to get any sound at all, I need to have both of these turned up).

You can then store those settings somehow but I can't remember how to do
that off the top of my head.

--
Adam Smith
Internode	: http://www.internode.on.net