FreeBSD 4.8

Mark Cullen mark.cullen at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Dec 12 11:56:19 PST 2004

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:
> Chuck Swiger wrote:
>

>>Jerry Hoover wrote:
>>

>>>I would like to learn FreeBSD 4.8  (I think I have a copy)
>>>What I need to know,  what does it require?
>>>CPU?
>>>RAM?
>>>Hard Drive Space?
>>

>>A 486-grade CPU or later, 16MB of RAM, and 1 GB of disk space is
>>something resembling a minimum configuration.  If you want to run a
>>GUI environment involving X11, make that a Pentium-2 grade system and
>>64+ MB of RAM, and 4+ GB of disk space.
>>

> Rather long list of techie details (for the PC-compat architecture):
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.3R/hardware-i386.html

Or for 4.8...

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.8R/hardware-i386.html

I've got 4.10 running on an old 133MHz P1, without the external cache
plugged in as it was faulty, and 64MB of RAM.. chugs along quite nicely :)

> HTH,
>
> Kevin Kinsey

Internet Explorer? Try FireFox at http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
Outlook Express? Try ThunderBird at