Cant get SVGLIB running

Ramiro Aceves ea1abz at wanadoo.es
Sun Dec 12 07:33:59 PST 2004

Ramiro Aceves wrote:
> Hello dear FreeBSD friends.
>
> I am having trouble to get SVGALIB running. I need it for running LINRAD
> amateur radio software from the ports.  I cvsuped the ports collection
> and installed LINRAD and SVGALIB with the make and make install comands
> as usual, no problem at all. The problem arises when I execute linrad
> and get a "nice Bus error" :-(
>
> I have configured the file /usr/local/etc/vga/libvga.config many times
> according to my hardware with no success. Also tried to place the config
> file in /etc/vga/libvga.config. I have googled for bugs but I did not
> find any problems like this one.
>
> I am a Debian GNU/Linux user and never had problems to get SVGALIB
> running in this box. My cpu is a 1200 MHz AMD athlon processor. Graphic
> card is a Nvidia TNT 32 MB.
>
> I attach my libvga.config
>
> I will apreciate any help. Does anybody have such a Nvidia TNT card
> working with SVGALIB?
>
> Many thanks in advance, anyway, I am enjoying FreeBSD, it is fun! . The
> Linrad software is very important for me as a radio amateur and I need
> getting it working in order to switch from Linux to FreeBSD (I use it
> for MoonBounce communication). FreeBSD ofers for me everything I do in
> Linux, so If I make Linrad work I could switch.

Hello again:

I have tried a simple C program to test svgalib drawing some line
patterns on the screen. I found that it works if I use "chipset VGA" in
/usr/local/etc/vga/libvga.config. If I choose "chipset NV3" acording to
my video card it segfaults (that is the setting I have under Linux). The
problem is that VGA mode does not offer enough resolution and color
depth to run Linrad software.

Do you think that I should write a bug report to the mantainer saying
that the NVIDIA card does not work with SVGALIB?

Thanks in advance.
Ramiro.

/*SVGALIB TEST*/
#include<vga.h>